Hi I am Miss Lara Gonsalves and welcome to Grade 2G. I will be your child's class teacher for this academic year. I am sure together we will have an exciting and productive year.
Just a few tips to get both you and your child through the year smoothly:
- To alleviate the weight of the school bag, text books should be left in school under the desk unless needed for homework. Your child should also pack his/her homework notebook and all copy books. The classroom is always locked after school. My first task is to teach your child how to pack their bag properly so nothing is left behind.
- Please go through your child’s bag at least once a week to keep abreast of his/her progress. Kindly check your child regularly to ensure that he/she has all of his/her school supplies e.g. pencils, ruler, colours, glue stick etc., and that their books are in good repair. This is necessary for the smooth running of classes.
- Homework is assigned daily. Parents are asked to check that your child has done the correct work then sign the assignment book. Corrections form an important part of daily homework and should be done before assigned homework. Ensure that your child does ALL non-written homework — spelling, tables, poetry, etc. — since when these are assigned, the children do not give them as much attention as they do their written assignments.
- If a student is absent for an assessment, please contact the teacher of that subject to schedule another date
- If your child is absent for more than 3 days, please notify the class teacher with a written excuse either via email or in the homework notebook.
- All books must be covered. A suggestion is covering all of one subject’s books in one colour, e.g. Language Arts (green) Math (blue) etc or use the coloured tabs making it easier for your children to find the books they need in a timely matter. Please ensure your child only has two copy books stapled together at one time. Cover all text books in clear plastic making it easier for your child to locate the correct text.
- Each test is to be signed by a parent or guardian. Feel free to write short comments to encourage your child. Always ensure that your child does test corrections.
- House buttons form an important part of the school uniform. It fosters pride in their house and must be secured daily to the left hand collar. One must also be worn on the PE uniform. These cost $1.00 each and are available from the Bookstore.
- Girls must wear colour appropriate knickers or tights under their red tunic, white socks and black shoes. Only the school jackets are allowed to be worn. Hair accessories are to match either the school uniform or hair colour. Girls with long hair should have it secured in a simple style daily. Earrings must be small & simple, e.g. stoppers or sleepers. Please check timetable for PE day to make sure your child is wearing the correct uniform (black socks and black sneakers) including the school hat and has sunblock and extra water for these days. If for some reason the child is unable to wear the uniform please send a written excuse
- Boy must wear black socks and black shoes, hair must be kept short and neat with school appropriate hairstyles. Please check timetable for PE day to make sure your child is wearing the correct uniform including the school hat and has sunblock and extra water for these days. If for some reason the child is unable to wear the uniform please send a written excuse. No chains are allowed for boys or girls
- Birthday celebrations consist of you - the parent/Guardian - sending cupcakes, donuts or brownies. I need to be informed of these birthday celebrations a week in advance either through a note in your child’s homework note book or you can email me directly.
- Freshen up kits should contain toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant (if needed), hand sanitizer, wipes and body spray.
- Each child should have RARE book and an activity book (word search, crossword puzzle coloring book etc).
- Clubs: Please indicate to me in a note of which clubs your child will be taking part in so I can remind them at lunchtime or after school. Pack an easy lunch on that day so that your child can get to club in a timely manner. Remind your child in the morning when you drop them off of what club they have.
- Report cards must be given to the class teacher at the beginning of each school term signed by parent/s.